Monday 3 February 2014

Dilip Subba -Experience of Mumbai Marathon 2014

Dilip had written his note in Nepali and it is translated by Anishjyoti Bhandari.

My best timing of half marathon was 1:21:59 hrs. Keeping it in mind; I set a standard timing of 1:13 hrs for Jan 19; 2014 marathon. I started following the schedule provided by Coach Daniel Vaz, to meet this target of 1hr 13mins. But due to my knee problem; I had to take rest for four months. I resumed practice on 9th Dec 2013. We left for Mumbai from Darjeeling on 8th Jan. We reached Mumbai eight days before the race and my knee was recovered. I was worried thinking that my knee might creat trouble. In spite of that I was quite sure that I would finish within my target of 1 hour and 13 minutes, which is a good timing. Total distance of the marathon was 21.097 km. My breakup of the distance was; 1st 5 km; 4 min per km; next 10 km; 3.30 min per km and last 6 km with 3 min per km. This way I will complete the race within my time limit. But practically I did it only twice during practice session before marathon.

On the day of marathon; we reached the venue at 5am. The race was supposed to start by 6am. Other things apart I was just thinking that my knee should not creat problem. Our team " Run with Roshni" recites Gayatri Mantra before starting of any race. Once the marathon started I set a target of 1:13 hrs even though thought of my knee did not go completely out of my mind. I started with 1 km per 4 min. I completed first 4 km in just 16 mins and started speeding up to attain 3:30 min per 1 km mark. I was within my scheduled timing in 6-9 km also. I thanked my knee for not creating any problem. I completed 9 km and reached for 10 km mark. I was in 10 km mark when I realised that my left ankle; which I injured while practicing before; started paining. Still I continued and reached 18 km mark. Pain went on increasing and ultimately it was unbearable. Before that when I reached 16 km mark I checked my timing which was 1hr 6 min. I realised that if i cotintinue in this speed; it will take at least 1 hr and 30 mnts. I continued. Till then I had the energy to complete it within stipulated time. But as my ankle was paining; I slowed down and speed became 5 mins per km. When I reached 18 th km mark; I started facing problem while taking long steps. Even after my best effort; I couldnot improve my timing of 5 minutes per km. for rest of the race. I finished the race timing 1:25:27 hrs. When I experienced pain for the first time; I thought that I wouldn't finish before 1:30 hrs. So I was relaxed to clock 1:25:27hrs.
Somewhere inside though I was bit unhappy for not achieving my target; still I was satisfied. Our Run With Roshni's performance was not up to the expectations. We used to do much better before. In our earlier half marathon; out of 10 members in our group; only 3 i. e. Binod; Uttam and Ranjeet finished before me. They used to do extremely well. Had we given more time in practice; we would have done much better. This gave me more confidence. After observing the timings of other members I came to the conclusion that next time with more practice; we defenetly will outperform others. But in this process we need help from people. In our team of "Run With Roshni" we have very good runners. But all of our team members are students. So we require financial assistance. Provided it; I assure a world level competition from our team in the years to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment