Monday 3 February 2014

My experience at Mumbai Marathon 2014 - Bikram Thapa

Note- Bikram's handwritten note is translated by Maneesh Shrestra from Nepali to English.

Firstly,

I consider myself lucky to have gotten an opportunity to participate in the Mumbai marathon. I am extremely thankful to Run with Roshni team for giving me this opportunity. If Run with Roshini team wasn’t there, we would not have been able to show our hidden talents and without them I would not have got this platform. Hence I would like to sincerely thank the Run with Roshini team from my heart.

Experiences;

 Unfortunately, this year’s Mumbai marathon was not very good for me. Last year I finished the half marathon 21.097kms in 1hr and 23 minutes but this year even though we got an opportunity to rest prior to the marathon it took me 1 hr and 26 minutes. I think one of the reasons for this drop in performance was my diet. I had never before had 4 eggs and 2 cups of milk in one day. For some reason my body was just not feeling right the day before the race. On race day, I thought that I felt ok but as soon as the gun went off, I felt like going to the toilet. So all my attention went towards where I should go to the toilet. With this, I also forgot what coach had told me. Coach had told me to run the first 5 kms easy but instead I ran the first 10kms easy. So picking up speed after that point I had already made the mistake. Coach had also told that at around 9 – 10 km I should have a 5 start chocolate but that too I forgot. I think that these were the reasons why I could not run better this year. I feel that if I had been able to follow what coach had said, I may have been able to break my record from last year. I cried as I could not break my time from last year. I felt useless and sad that even after getting proper rest prior to the marathon, I could not better my time. But 2015, Mumbai marathon I am going to do very well. I am going to put even more effort than I did this year and will run a much better time next year.

Thank You.  

No comments:

Post a Comment