Monday 3 February 2014

The Experience of Mumbai Marathon 2014~ Binod Tamang

Note- Handwritten note of Binod is translated from Nepali to English by Mr. Bharatmani Pradhan. Binod is the fastest among Half marathon runners of team 'Run with Roshni'. He completed 21km in 1hr 17mins.

The Mumbai Half Marathon that was conducted on Jan 19, 2014 was of 21.097 Kms. This was my third run of this distance. I had participated in Pedong and Hyderabad before this. I came 15th in Pedong and 25th in Hyderabad. My timing in Hyderabad had been 1:27:17. Because of that good performance in Hyderabad, I got the opportunity to participate in Mumbai Half Marathon. For Mumbai Half Marathon I was helped a lot by Roshni Didi. Didi did the registration for me and had sent me the schedule for practice, which is prepared by Coach Daniel Vaz. I practiced according to this schedule only.

From Darjeeling District we twelve runners had gone for Mumbai Marathon. In which there were ten boys and two girls.
We departed on morning of 9th Jan, 2014 from NJP for Mumbai and had reached Mumbai on 10th Jan’s night. We had been permitted to rest without practicing till 19th Jan, 14.
 
On 16th Coach Daniel had come to meet us all the runners. Coach gave us good tips for the 21.097 Km run of the 19th. Coach told us that we should run slowly till 6 Km and increase our pace from 7 Km.
 
Mumbai Marathon was my first run. Prabal Chettri who had come from Darjeeling had a very good timing in this run. His timing was 1 hour 16 minutes. But my dream was to achieve a record of 1 hour 14 minutes in this year’s run. I had thought of completing this Mumbai Marathon by running upto 6 Km in 1 Km/3 min and by completing 15 Km in 50 minutes and 21 Km in 1 hour 14 minutes. Night before the marathon, I could not sleep. On 18th Jan, night I could only sleep from 11 p.m. to 2:30 a.m.
On 19th Jan morning when we reached the starting point for the run, I was a bit nervous. Even then I got determined to complete this run in 1:14 without becoming nervous. The run started from morning 6 o’clock.

Up to 6 minutes, I had not seen the KM board. At that time I thought that I was running very slowly and I increased my pace a bit. When it was 10 minutes I saw the 3 Km board. At that time I was at a bit faster pace than I had thought. But it had not been all that difficult for me to run. So at this rate when I completed 6 Km, it had taken 22 minutes. Even at that moment, I was ahead of my calculated pace. When I finished 17 Km it had taken 1:01 minutes. Now I had only 4 Km to run. At that time I estimated that I shall now run each Km at the rate of 3 minutes. By doing this, there was a possibility of completing 21 Km in 1:13 minutes.

When I completed 19 Km, it had taken me 1hr 7 minutes. At that time I thought that I would be able to complete 2 Km in 6 minutes. But suddenly my pace started slowing. Even then I kept on trying to increase my pace. From 19 Km I had not even seen the Km board and once again I looked at the watch which had already become 1hr 10 minutes. I had thought that I shall increase my pace from remaining 1000 metre but because of my inability to see the Km board, I could not also increase my speed. Again, I looked at the watch, it had already been 1:13 minutes. At that time I was running on bridge. Again I thought, even if I could not complete in 1:14 minutes, I believed that I would be able to complete before the record kept by Prabal. At that time, I suddenly saw 300 metre board. And I looked at the watch – 1hr 16 minutes had already passed. Even then I increased my speed and when I reached the finishing point it had been 1hr17 minutes. I felt very bad and I knelt on ground and cried. Again I controlled myself and got up from there and moved a little further. There were only seven, eight runners and I saw the Indian women elite runner, who came first was touching the finish line after me. At that time I felt a little happier and realised that I had done quite well.





 
Binod receiving the best runners trophy from Mr. CB Chettri for running fastest among the team 'Run with Roshni.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment